Cold Water Infusion Directions
Cold water infusions are preferable when infusing mucilaginous herbs such as marshmallow (Althaea officinalis). Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) and mint family plants like lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) and peppermint (Mentha x piperita) also infuse beautifully in cold water, and are lovely teas for a summer day when you don’t feel like firing up the kettle.
- Crush herbs in your hand or with a mortar and pestle. Place herbs in a mug, glass jar, French press, or teapot.
- Pour room temperature or cool water over the herbs and cover.
- Steep several hours or overnight on the counter or in the refrigerator.
- Strain as directed above.
- Consume immediately, or within 24 hours after straining if refrigerated.